Monday, September 10, 2018

Visualizing and Inferring

Week 3


    This week we learned two important reading strategies: visualizing and inferring.
For visualizing, I read aloud Come on Rain by Karen Hesse. It has AmAzInG descriptive language making it perfect for visualizing practice. We first used an organizer to record what students were "seeing" in their mind stopping after certain excerpts. Afterwards, students drew/painted (we used Cray Pas  to give a wet effect) raindrop outlines.

     To teach intro to inferring, I used an activity I call "Trash Detectives". I brought actual trash (non messy) from my house for the students to use as evidence to make inferences about me. I told them they were all detectives and that they could learn some super secret facts about me. Students recorded their observation of the evidence and based on the evidence made at least 3 inferences. It was a lot of fun and they got to know me better!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Classroom Book Talk      My students are becoming more familiar with Google Classroom. This week for book talk Friday, we ...